At the end of the module the student should be able to:
(1) Knowledge and Understanding
Analyse ac circuits using complex numbers, and be able to use phasor diagrams in the analysis of ac power
circuits. and the analysis of three phase circuits. Understand how the transformers, induction motors,
synchronous generators and dc motors work and be able to use them in industrial applications.
(2) Skills and Attributes
Analyse complex electrical networks (ac and dc), and predict the performance of electrical machines. This
ability is fundamental for the students with mechanical engineering background, to be able to handle
electromechanical problems encountered in real life situations.
Test a single phase transformer to determine its equivalent circuit parameters and compare the theoretical
results with practical results under load conditions. Know the safety precautions that need to be taken into
account when testing electrical plant and equipment.
- Test electrical plant equipment (transformers, motors, generators).
- Apply methods of ac circuit analysis to other more complex networks.
- Analyse of three phase power networks.
- Design electromechanical power conversion systems.
- Write technical reports.